affron® is a patented Saffron extract that is certified to be genetically 100% saffron (Crocus sativus L.) and has been clinically studied to prove that it provides mental wellness benefits related to cognition, mood, stress management and sleep.
Before we dive further into the benefits of affron® let's take a quick look at the history of saffron. Saffron is a spice derived from dried stigmas of the saffron crocus that has been cultivated and used for over 3,000 years across many cultures, civilizations, and continents. It remains among the world's most expensive substances (costing as much as 3X that of gold at points in history) and has been used as a seasoning, fragrance, dye and medicine.
What Makes Affron® Different?
A proprietary extraction process called AFF ON Cool-Tech is used to maintain peak freshness and purity of the saffron extract. Not only does the process improve the purity of the saffron extract; it also lowers the need for harsh industrial processes and most importantly, results in using ZERO harmful solvents, synthetics, or additives.
affron® is known for its high content of the bioactive compounds found in saffron. The precise amount and formulation of these beneficial components have been trademarked as Lepticrosalides. It has been demonstrated and substantiated in at least 8 clinical trials that the compounds in Lepticrosalides are the ones responsible for affron® effectiveness against low mood, anxiety, and insomnia amongst other health benefits.
The Health Benefits of affron® from Clinical Trials are
How affron® works!
When the unique Spanish saffron extract affron® was consumed (28mg/day, same amount in KINETIQ) over 4 weeks in healthy adults’ significant improvement in mood and sleep quality was reported 1.
In participants with self-reported low mood those who consumed affron® saw a significant increase in vigor and decrease in tension, depression, confusion, and fatigue according to the Profile of Mood States Test (POMS)1.
The same group saw a significant decrease in anxiety, stress, and depression according to Depression Anxiety and Stress Scale (DASS).
Adolescents with Anxiety:
The effects of affron® were examined further, this time with younger individuals (12-16 years old) with mild to moderate anxiety or depression receiving 28mg of affron® daily over 8-weeks. Over the 8 weeks the group that received affron® showed a significant improvement in anxiety and depression. Specifically, a 33-40% reduction in depression, anxiety, social phobia, and panic reported by both individuals and their parents 2, 3.
Sleep Quality Benefits
Lastly the effects of affron® were tested for its sleep enhancement abilities. Healthy adults either received 28mg of affron® or a placebo each day over 4 weeks. Compared to those in the placebo group, those taking affron® observed a significantly improved Pittsburg Sleep Quality Index (PSQI), consisting of improved sleep quality and a reduction in daytime dysfunction (trouble staying awake while driving, eating etc. during the day) 4,5.
- Kell G, Rao A, Beccaria G, Clayton P, Inarejos-Garcia A. 2017. Affron® a novel saffron extract (Crocus Sativus L.) improves mood in healthy adults over 4 weeks in a double-blind, parallel, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 33: 58-64.
- Lopresti A, Drummond P, Inarejos-Garcia A, Prodanov M. 2018. affron®, a standardized extract from saffron (Crocus sativus L.) for the treatment fo youth anxiety and depression symptoms: A randomized, double-blind, placebo Controlled study. Journal of Affective Disorder. 232:349-357.
- Lopresti AL, Smith SJ, Hood SD, Drummond PD. Efficacy of a standardised saffron extract (affron®J as an add-on to antidepressant medication for the treatment of persistent depressive symptoms in adults: A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Psychopharmacol. 2019 Nov;33(11):1415-1427.
- Nishide A, Fujita T, Ohnuki K, Shoyama Y, Ymamoto T, Nagaregawa Y, Watanabe T, Shimizu K, Ohnuki K. 2018. Sleep Enhancement by Saffron Extract affron in Randomized Control Trial. Japanese Pharmacology & Therapeitics. 46(8): 1407-1415.
- Adrian L. Lopresti, Stephen J. Smith, Peter D. Drummond., An investigation into an evening intake of a saffron extract (affron®J on sleep quality, cortisol, and melatonin concentrations in adults with poor sleep: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multi-dose study, Sleep Medicine, Volume 86, 2021, Pages 7-18